JUBALAND STATE OF SOMALIA
Ministry of Women, Family affairs and Human rights
Terms of Reference for External legal Consultant of FGM Bill
Title: Legal Consultant of FGM Bill
Date of Issue: 18/11/2018
Duration of Assignment: 3 Months
Duty Station: Kismayo, Jubaland State of Somalia
Supervisor: Director General at MoWFAHR.
Deadline of Application: :05/12/2018
Somalia was ravaged by civil war that lasted over two and half decades leaving the destruction of the social harmony and the peace coexistence hence created immense suspicion and loss of trust among human rights issue vulnerable groups (Women, disability, minority) and Somalia communities at large, Due to the prolonged clan conflict and power struggle in the three regions that form Jubaland State of Somalia vulnerable groups faces numerous challenges including human right abuses, traditional practice of FGM , denial to their rights, inequality and lack of participation in the community decision making process as well as gender based violence.
On March, 2013, when The ministry of Women, family affairs and human rights at Jubaland State of Somalia Come on existence, Mandated to promote and protect Human rights against Violations, Such as Traditional Practice of FGM, Sexual Abuses and other Abuses, and also The Ministry Developed and Drafted The FGM bill to minimize the practice of FGM, and Punish the practitioners as well. Hence the need to recruit an External Legal Consultant for FGM Bill to play role in the Consultation and Reviewing phase of the Bill.
The External Legal Consultant provides reviewing and amending the appropriate and necessary rights, Duties and Punishments in the FGM Bill, and also handling the consultation and Dialogue Forums that will conduct in this Phase/ stage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review the Draft of FGM Bill for Compliance of national, International and Islamic Principles.
- Provide legal advice and Consultations on Matters Related to FGM bill.
- Conduct Public Consultation and active participation Forums, among all Stakeholders including women Groups, Local Organizations and line Ministries.
- Conduct study and assessment for data and information gathering on the status of FGM in the all community of Jubaland State.
- Conduct Awareness and Campaign among the community especially women Groups for Zero Tolerance of FGM and its Harmful effect.
- Develop and propose recommendations for the Finalization and Implementation Strategy of FGM Bill.
- Prepare Consultation Report and other Narrative Report as signed by the Supervisor
- Any other duties incidental to the above-mentioned tasks as assigned by Supervisor from time to time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The individual consultant must have:
▪ must have strong management and communication skills.
▪ Strong analytical skills in problem solving, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
▪ Ability to work with different partners including state and non state actors , Women, and Vulnerable Groups in Minimizing On FGM and related matters.
▪ Adaptability and flexibility to adjust to changing schedules and priorities.
▪ Effective critical information gathering to create accurate reports.
▪ Strong command both written and oral communication in English and Somali language.
▪ Analytical thinking.
▪ Excellent computer literacy skills in all computer packages.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES:
- Must Hold University Degree in Women Studies, Law, Psychology, Development Studies, Human Sciences or relevant field.
- A minimum of five (5) – years experience in the field of Women and Human rights.
- 3 years experience in Legal Drafting and Consultations within government, the UN or NGO sector.
- Experience developing quality reports, including policy briefs, for a range of audiences including practitioners in the field of Child, Women and Human rights.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work in emergencies, independently and in a team.
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills.
How to Apply:
The Legal Consultant will report directly to the Director General of MoWFAHR and will engage directly with Legal Advisor and Technical Coordinator of the Ministry. This position will be initially contracted for 3-month period, to the Ministry of Women, Family affairs and Human rights.
All applications with up to date CVs should be sent to the Director General of the Ministry of Women, Family affairs and Human rights. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is: 5th-December-2018.